Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Build-a-Computer

Today's project was building a computer for my mom from various parts I ordered on NewEgg for $250. As soon as I woke up, I checked my UPS tracking number. It said "Out for Delivery", timestamped 8:38 am. I was so excited to build a computer from scratch, that every time I heard a diesel engine, I'd run downstairs and look out the window. I never knew how much went on outside during the day! Trash truck, recycling truck, mail van, various big pickups... but no UPS truck! Watching my day slowly waste away, and becoming sick of running downstairs (in fear I'd miss them, because my doorbell is broken), I threw an extension cord out the window and hooked a security camera up in our apple tree out front. Yes, I actually did that! I didn't get a picture though, surprisingly. Finally, with most of the day blown by, there it was. A large brown truck right in the middle of the camera's view. I ran downstairs past my uncle who was on the phone, and right up to the truck. I pointed out the camera to the delivery man and he laughed. Maybe I was just too excited? I took my box upstairs, and sifted through the packing peanuts to get every last part out. At the time I ordered my parts, there was a sale on 80mm fans; one with shipping was about $9, but if you got ten, there was a bulk discount and free shipping! I ended up getting 10 fans for $12, just 3 dollars more than if I had gotten one! I took my gutted "Ninja" case downstairs and layed out all the parts. I've worked on computers and disassembled many, but I've never completely built one from scratch. It was pretty fun, and quite easy. Everything fitted perfectly! I even used twist-ties inside to neaten it up a bit. I even made a custom "StaleNet Computers" logo sticker for the case, which fits perfectly! Next on the list is installing Vista, and getting it set up for wireless access.


I hope you all appreciate my enthusiasm! Keep checking back for more posts, I'll try to update at least every few days, as I have so far. In upcoming posts, expect to see some free-running, homemade fireworks, guitar, and my spontaneous outings in Boston!

$250 Computers's Specs:
  • Processor: Intel Pentium E2180 2.0 GHz dual-core
  • Motherboard: Zotac N73V-Value ATX
  • Video card: MSI nVidia GeForce 8400 GS 256MB PCI Express x16
  • Power supply: CoolMax 400W ATX
  • Optical drive: Lite-On 20x DVD±R burner
  • Cooling: Dynatron 92mm CPU cooler, 2x Masscool 80mm case fans
  • Memory: Corsair XMS2 1 GB w/heat spreader (already had)
  • Hard drive: Hitachi 320 GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0gb/s
  • Case: "Ninja" (compliments of Daniel Webster College ITS Department)

No comments: